VKs Official Server
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Unban Appeal
by VK.Angel.OfDeath Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:29 am

» [Solved] Password Reset
by VK.Angel.OfDeath Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:32 pm

» Ramadan Mubarak in Advance
by Shafin Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:52 pm

» Fatal Force - F2
by [F2]M60^ Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:07 pm

» Illegal Immigration | Old Memories | 2017
by BlackOps_Killer Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:25 pm

» VKs and VCMP Previews
by SJHere Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:51 pm

» The Resurgence 4th Year of Anniversary!
by Ninja Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:30 am

» [Solved]Stats Transfer application - Shado[W]^
by SJHere Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:06 pm

» Hi to all my good friends
by VK.Angel.OfDeath Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:04 am

» [Closed] Admin Application - F2.Ninja
by VK.Angel.OfDeath Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:49 am

» [Closed] Suggestion - We can change weather in props
by VK.Angel.OfDeath Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:45 am

» [Denied] Suggestion - Garbageman Job
by VK.Angel.OfDeath Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:27 pm

» Server Files (24/10/2023)
by VK.Angel.OfDeath Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:22 pm

» [Accepted] playaaa, ULK.Hulk. [M4]Halilibow - speed hacking in parkours
by VK.Angel.OfDeath Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:15 pm

» [Solved] Password Reset- TrapHole
by VK.Angel.OfDeath Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:13 pm

» [Solved] Request for Password Reset (2)
by VK.Angel.OfDeath Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:14 pm

» [Solved] Password Rest
by [RPG]G_man Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:07 pm

» [Noted] FPV Suggestion
by SJHere Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:31 pm

» [Solved] Pass Reset Application Foster^
by VK.Angel.OfDeath Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:00 pm

» Wanna start over again?
by palestrino Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:06 am

» hey guys <3
by D@Ch0uChI. Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:51 am

» [Solved] Stats Transfer
by SJHere Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:03 pm

» [Solved] Password Reset
by D4rKR420R Wed May 24, 2023 1:36 am

» Let's all gather after May in VKs
by Mike Sat May 20, 2023 4:55 pm

» [Denied] Player report - [ON]HunTinG
by D4rKR420R Tue May 02, 2023 5:25 am

» Hi halo here
by Alone Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:28 am

» An old Player Of Vks
by Alone Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:01 am

» [Bug Report] Bug in /domination - invisible bridge
by VK.Angel.OfDeath Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:38 pm

» [Noted] Bug Report - Zone
by LOGiC ™ Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:52 pm

» [Noted] Just Suggestion
by LOGiC ™ Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:11 pm

Top posters
ЧК. (8555)
NE vs Jerk Discussion - Syntax messages (Please reply to help us out) I_vote_lcapNE vs Jerk Discussion - Syntax messages (Please reply to help us out) I_voting_barNE vs Jerk Discussion - Syntax messages (Please reply to help us out) I_vote_rcap 
VK.Angel.OfDeath (6454)
NE vs Jerk Discussion - Syntax messages (Please reply to help us out) I_vote_lcapNE vs Jerk Discussion - Syntax messages (Please reply to help us out) I_voting_barNE vs Jerk Discussion - Syntax messages (Please reply to help us out) I_vote_rcap 
=SdS=KrlozZ... (6433)
D4rKR420R (5469)
=KF=Thunder^ (5405)
Pavonis (5197)
SJHere (4421)
Emma (4261)
Vipe[R] (3756)
47. (3704)

Statistics
We have 1946 registered users
The newest registered user is the_avid_gamer

Our users have posted a total of 217818 messages in 16809 subjects
Top posting users this month
No user

Top posting users this week
No user

NE vs Jerk Discussion - Syntax messages (Please reply to help us out)

+8
Emma
[MLP]Twilight Sparkle
VK.Andriusas91
D.E.[[V]].I.L
ЧК.
VK.Luca
EK.CrystalBlue
VK.Angel.OfDeath
12 posters

Go down

NE vs Jerk Discussion - Syntax messages (Please reply to help us out) Empty NE vs Jerk Discussion - Syntax messages (Please reply to help us out)

Post by VK.Angel.OfDeath Thu May 21, 2015 8:09 pm

Short information.
For those of you that don't know what a syntax message is, it's a message that appears if you enter a wrong command. To me the messages are the most important part about a server. If the messages look shitty people aren't going to take our server seriously. So that's why I want you guys to help us to decide one thing.

Explaining Problem
For this problem we are going to use the command /givecash as an example. The givecash and assume that the player has no idea what it does and is going to end up entering in the wrong things/parameters into the command.

When the player enters the wrong thing I want this to happen: *message appears saying: Invalid syntax. Use /givecash < Player > < Cash >
(NOTE: There is not supposed to be space between the word and the < and > symbol!) If you can't see the symbols I use it is < and > with the player and the cash put in between them.

When the player enters the wrong thing NE want this to happen: *message appears saying: "Syntax invalid. Use /givecash playername cash"

Our arguments

My arguments:
* I think a symbol is necessary to separate instructions for actual things you're supposed to write and NE version doesn't do that.
* I think NE way look extremely unprofessional and ugly, and I would honestly feel ashamed to play on my own server if it got accepted. But this is not about me, it's about what you guys want.
* If the messages look shitty we are going to look shitty as a server.
* Syntax Invalid is not grammatically correct and not used by any scripting language.
* <> is used in a lot servers and is kinda tradition. People don't generally like when you change a tradition. Would you for example be okay with someone changing /login and /register and /heal and other commands to something else? You probably wouldn't because you expect them to be the same.

NE arguments:
* As expected he thinks <> looks ugly.
* He doesn't like it that <> looks pointy or curvey.
* He doesn't like it that the letters are bigger than the <>
* He argues that players are going to think that they need to put in <> when they enter the amount of cash and the player name. Kinda like this: /givecash <angel> <1000>.

NE might have some better arguments, but it's not really about the arguments is it, it's about how you look at it. Which one looks better?

NE reply here or PM me and I will add more of your arguments to this list if you have any.

The conclusion.
Please write a reply about who wins, why he wins in your opinion and if there is something you would like to change with the winners syntax message.

Code:
[b]Who wins: [/b]
[b]Why does he win: [/b]
[b]Is there anything you would like to improve with the winner: [/b]

THE ONE THAT GETS THE MOST REPLIES CLAIMING THAT THEY WIN, DECIDES WHAT THE SYNTAX MESSAGE WILL BE. SO REPLY!

Btw if I have never seen you before and trust me I remember if I've seen you. then I will not count your vote. Both admins and players are allowed to vote.

Last edited by VK.Angel.OfDeath on Fri May 22, 2015 9:57 pm; edited 5 times in total
VK.Angel.OfDeath
VK.Angel.OfDeath
Server Owner & Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

NE vs Jerk Discussion - Syntax messages (Please reply to help us out) Empty Re: NE vs Jerk Discussion - Syntax messages (Please reply to help us out)

Post by VK.Angel.OfDeath Thu May 21, 2015 8:15 pm

Who wins: The jerk (Angel)
Why does he win: Because I wrote this topic and I am of course on my own side.
Is there anything you would like to improve with the winner: Generally his smell, appearance and intelligence. I could also maybe agree on changing it to /givecash <player> <cash> if that looks better to anyone.
VK.Angel.OfDeath
VK.Angel.OfDeath

Back to top Go down

NE vs Jerk Discussion - Syntax messages (Please reply to help us out) Empty Re: NE vs Jerk Discussion - Syntax messages (Please reply to help us out)

Post by EK.CrystalBlue Fri May 22, 2015 4:42 am

Who wins: NE.CrystalBlue
Why does he win: You just said it
Is there anything you would like to improve with the winner: Nope he is the best
EK.CrystalBlue
EK.CrystalBlue
Deputy Chief of the Community

Best christ 15
Homocide detective
Pizza Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by VK.Luca Fri May 22, 2015 7:19 am

Who wins: Jerk (Angel)
Why does he win: Because his system is a traditional and organized one, not the god-knows-what-bullshit NE wants
Is there anything you would like to improve with the winner: No, you are very organized and I don't think you need to improve anything so far.
VK.Luca
VK.Luca
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Location : Macin, Tulcea, Romania, Europe, Earth, The Milky Way. Universe

Back to top Go down

Post by ЧК. Fri May 22, 2015 7:56 am

Who wins: Jerk Very Happy
Why does he win: I agree that NE's idea is not proffessional and Angel's idea looks better and as Luca said its traditional and organized.
Is there anything you would like to improve with the winner: Angel, it says Use /givecash, but it doesn't say how. If you entered a command with invalid syntax, and the server is saying that, then the server must also tell the player how to use it.

I suggest either you put it in the syntax message, or you can make a /help command
I have this command in my CoD4 servers, an you use it like this /help [command] in the command place, you put the command you need help for. Then the server should tell what that command is used for and then how to use it
ЧК.
ЧК.
Manager & Forum Admin
Manager & Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 22, 2015 8:28 am

Who wins:Jerk (Fatboy) (Angel)
Why does he win:My reason is as Luca,his system is a traditional and organized.
Is there anything you would like to improve with the winner:Angel when you type /givecash with invalid syntax it must say :/givecash name amount.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by EK.CrystalBlue Fri May 22, 2015 8:40 am

Since everyone is being extremely rude and choosing the jerk, I am changing my format to:
Syntax invalid. Use /givecash [Player name] [Amount]
or
Syntax invalid. Use /givecash [playername] [amount]
EK.CrystalBlue
EK.CrystalBlue

Best christ 15
Homocide detective
Pizza Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by D.E.[[V]].I.L Fri May 22, 2015 8:41 am

Who wins: Jerk (Angel)
Why does he win: He is Awesome
Is there anything you would like to improve with the winner: LOL
D.E.[[V]].I.L
Ultra Legendary

Most original admin

Back to top Go down

Post by VK.Angel.OfDeath Fri May 22, 2015 3:56 pm

NE.CrystalBlue wrote:Since everyone is being extremely rude and choosing the jerk, I am changing my format to:
or

Just lol is this about winning or about finding the right syntax...
VK.Angel.OfDeath
VK.Angel.OfDeath

Back to top Go down

Post by VK.Angel.OfDeath Fri May 22, 2015 4:14 pm

NE don't delete anyones post here. I saw on the log that you deleted Andri's. Even if you demoted him or not, he is still allowed to vote regardless.
VK.Angel.OfDeath
VK.Angel.OfDeath

Back to top Go down

Post by EK.CrystalBlue Fri May 22, 2015 4:36 pm

VK.Angel.OfDeath wrote:NE don't delete anyones post here. I saw on the log that you deleted Andri's. Even if you demoted him or not, he is still allowed to vote regardless.
He didn't vote. He posted a useless message as usual.
EK.CrystalBlue
EK.CrystalBlue

Best christ 15
Homocide detective
Pizza Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by VK.Andriusas91 Fri May 22, 2015 4:38 pm

NE.CrystalBlue wrote:
VK.Angel.OfDeath wrote:NE don't delete anyones post here. I saw on the log that you deleted Andri's. Even if you demoted him or not, he is still allowed to vote regardless.
He didn't vote. He posted a useless message as usual.
not gonna lie that's kind of true
VK.Andriusas91
VK.Andriusas91
Epic Member
Epic Member

Announcer
Informant
Location : The universe,Milky way galaxy,solar system,Earth,Europe...etc

http://andriusforums.forumotion.eu/

Back to top Go down

Post by [MLP]Twilight Sparkle Fri May 22, 2015 5:46 pm

NE.CrystalBlue wrote:Since everyone is being extremely rude and choosing the jerk, I am changing my format to:
or

i like that one better than the first one. but i still think the jerk (angel) wins. i always see <> used for messages when i play on my computer.

Who wins: jerk
Why does he win: i think <> looks better
Is there anything you would like to improve with the winner: i am not sure.
[MLP]Twilight Sparkle
[MLP]Twilight Sparkle
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Emma Fri May 22, 2015 8:03 pm

Who wins: the jerk
Why does he win: because i like <> more than nothing.
Is there anything you would like to improve with the winner: i dont really know.
Emma
Emma
Event Staff
Event Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by VK.Angel.OfDeath Fri May 22, 2015 9:55 pm

VK.G.H((O))S.T. wrote:Who wins: Jerk Very Happy
Why does he win: I agree that NE's idea is not proffessional and Angel's idea looks better and as Luca said its traditional and organized.
Is there anything you would like to improve with the winner: Angel, it says Use /givecash, but it doesn't say how. If you entered a command with invalid syntax, and the server is saying that, then the server must also tell the player how to use it.

I suggest either you put it in the syntax message, or you can make a /help command
I have this command in my CoD4 servers, an you use it like this /help [command] in the command place, you put the command you need help for. Then the server should tell what that command is used for and then how to use it

VK.MaSoN^ wrote:Who wins:Jerk (Fatboy) (Angel)
Is there anything you would like to improve with the winner:Angel when you type /givecash with invalid syntax it must say :/givecash name amount.

WTF my syntax is: /givecash < Player > < Cash > I have no idea why it isn't visible. If you quote my post you can clearly see that it is there!!! (NOTE: There is no space between the word and the symbols, I just had to put them there to make it visible.)
VK.Angel.OfDeath
VK.Angel.OfDeath

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 23, 2015 6:04 am

VK.Angel.OfDeath wrote:

WTF my syntax is: /givecash < Player > < Cash > I have no idea why it isn't visible. If you quote my post you can clearly see that it is there!!! (NOTE: There is no space between the word and the symbols, I just had to put them there to make it visible.)

What do you mean ?? If i want to give cash i should type for example /givecash < Angel > <100>?????
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Chuck Norris Sat May 23, 2015 6:07 am

VK.MaSoN^ wrote:
VK.Angel.OfDeath wrote:

What do you mean ?? If i want to give cash i should type for example /givecash <Angel> <100>?????

have you read my arguments? I mean using the symbol < > for separating things you're supposed to write and things you're supposed to fill in. It's used in many scripting languages and many servers for that purpose.
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris
Secret Intelligence Agent of the Community

https://vkserver.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by EK.CrystalBlue Sat May 23, 2015 6:38 am

Everyone should vote again since the "< >" wasnt visible in angels post.
EK.CrystalBlue
EK.CrystalBlue

Best christ 15
Homocide detective
Pizza Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Chuck Norris Sat May 23, 2015 6:45 am

NE.CrystalBlue wrote:Everyone should vote again since the "< >" wasnt visible in angels post.

Some of them saw it before it glitched out. I think the only ones that didn't see it was Ghost and mason. Mason said he still liked <> better.
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris
Secret Intelligence Agent of the Community

https://vkserver.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ЧК. Sat May 23, 2015 1:34 pm

Here is my re vote
Who wins: Jerk Very Happy
Is there anything you would like to improve with the winner: No need for improvements since you clarified that your arguement does include < >
ЧК.
ЧК.
Manager & Forum Admin
Manager & Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The NoXy Sat May 23, 2015 5:52 pm

VK.Luca wrote:Who wins: Jerk (Angel)
Why does he win: Because his system is a traditional and organized one, not the god-knows-what-bullshit NE wants
Is there anything you would like to improve with the winner: No, you are very organized and I don't think you need to improve anything so far.
The NoXy
The NoXy

Back to top Go down

Post by [MLP]Spitfire Sun May 24, 2015 5:32 pm

[MLP]Twilight Sparkle wrote:
or

i like that one better than the first one. but i still think the jerk (angel) wins. i always see <> used for messages when i play on my computer.

Who wins: jerk
Why does he win: i think <> looks better
Is there anything you would like to improve with the winner: i am not sure.

i agree with twilight and vote the same.
[MLP]Spitfire
[MLP]Spitfire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Razor Tue May 26, 2015 12:42 pm

Who wins:NE
Why does he win: Heilt dem Hitler! Wir mussen die russen toten!
Is there anything you would like to improve with the winner: Im going to ignore this
Razor
Epic Member
Epic Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down